If you want to explore being a Lay Cistercian, I recommend you read the commentaries of those who existed after Christ and before there was an officially sanctioned list (canon) of books. I use the following resources.
If you try reading these resources out of their context, it just becomes a frustrating exercise without purpose. Here is what I do and you can judge if it is of use in your spiritual encampment.
- Pick a theme, e.g., Eucharist.
- Access either of these resources and search for writers about the Eucharist.
- Read one short chapter and determine if it resonates with you.
- If you belong to a Scripture Study, ask each member to read the same passage.
- Come up with three ideas from a Church Father and how it relates to Scripture.