Jesus left us no book of instructions on how to get to Heaven other than what he taught his disciples. St. John says, in his Gospel that the whole world could not contain all the stories of what Jesus did. (John 21:24-25)
Here are some thoughts on following Christ.
- We are bid to renounce ourselves, take up our cross, and follow Christ. It isn’t easy but just because our road is rocky doesn’t mean we are on the wrong road.
- Christ helps us to carry our cross. (Matthew 11:28-30) Jesus won’t carry it for us but will help us carry our cross for his yolk is easy and his burden is light.
- We can see the footprints of where Christ went and we must follow wherever they lead.
- The footprints of the world lead to destruction while the path of righteousness is the Lord’s.
- Christ never gives us a burden that the two of us can’t handle together. Sometimes he helps us 80%, other times only 10%.
- Following Christ is a lifetime endeavor.
- Don’t follow Christ by yourself. That is the meaning of Church, the Body of Christ.
- Don’t be tempted by false prophets and teachers with itching ears.
No one can say Jesus is Lord without the Holy Spirit.
That in all things, may God be glorified. St. Benedict